VCs, ASUU reject 120 cut-off mark say FG is trying to destroy education in Nigeria - Mymusikok

Breaking

News | Events | Entertainment | Lifestyle | Fashion | Beauty | Inspiration | Gossips | Information | Education |Freebeats

We Can Place Your Adverts Here

test banner

Friday, August 25, 2017

VCs, ASUU reject 120 cut-off mark say FG is trying to destroy education in Nigeria



- Some university vice chancellors in Nigeria have condemned the new cut-off marks introduced by JAMB

- Also the Academic Staff Union of Universities has rejected the new cut-off of 120 for UTME

- According to those critical of the new directive, it is said that it would mean a lowering of educational standards in the country

Following the announcement that the cut-off marks for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) has been reduced to 120, there has been some backlash from Nigerians and those in the educational sector.

Vice-Chancellors and the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) have spearheaded the rejection of the decision of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board to peg admission cut-off mark at 120 for universities and 100 for polytechnics, monotechnics and colleges of education.

ASUU said the action was in tandem “with the dream of the present government to destroy public universities in the country.”

Below are some quotes from some vice chancellors, ASUU and the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) as obtained by The Punch:

Vice-Chancellor, University of Ibadan(UI), Professor Idowu Olayinka, in a statement released by his Media Assistant, Mr Sunday Saanu, on Thursday, August 24, said UI stated that it would never admit any candidate that scored 120 in the UTME.

“It should worry us as patriots that candidates who scored just 30 per cent in the UTME can be admitted into some of our universities. Yet, we complain of poor quality of our graduates. You can hardly build something on nothing.

"The consolation here is that since JAMB started conducting this qualifying exam in 1978, UI has never admitted any candidate who scored less than 200 marks out of the maximum 400 marks.

“This translates to a minimum of 50 per cent. This remains our position as an institution aspiring to be world-class. Reality is that only about four other universities in the country have such high standard.

"To that extent, apart from being the oldest, we are an elite university in the country at least judging by the quality of our intakes," he said.

However, he also commended the decision of the FG to re-introduce the post-UTME test.

Olayinka said: “It is gratifying to note that the Honourable Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu, who chaired the meeting, apologised publicly for canceling the post-UTME screening last year.

“In effect, universities are now allowed to conduct the test using modalities approved by the Senate of each institution.

“To be fair to the incumbent Registrar of JAMB, he was not the Registrar when the policy somersault of cancelling the post-UTME test was made last year.

"As strongly canvassed by us at every opportunity, for UI, the need to admit the best admission seekers is the primary motivation for the test and not money, even though we do not pretend that you can run any university so properly called without funds.”

No comments:

Post a Comment